Re: proposed policy: maintenance costs

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Aaron Bentley <aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12-01-31 10:32 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> Hi, please glance at
>> https://dev.launchpad.net/PolicyAndProcess/MaintenanceCosts
>
> One thing I find difficult about the policy is that it's hard to
> compare the different kinds of costs.  How many lines of code should I
> remove to justify increasing the number of support tickets by 5 per month?
>
> Maybe we should recommend in-kind cost trading, so an increase of 5
> tickets per month would be offset by reducing tickets per month
> elsewhere, rather than by removing code, making landings easier,
> automatic operational tasks, etc.
>
> Also, there's a lot of duplication in the "increase" and "decrease"
> lists.  Maybe just one list of "things that are costly"?

I was worried about clarity, but the response here makes me think I
overworried, I will look at tweaking in that direction.

I think in-kind cost trading is a no-brainer, but hard to do (how well
can we predict future support costs :(). Allowing other kinds of
trades is conceptually important though - otherwise making landings
cheaper by writing code wouldn't be able to be done!

-Rob