Possibilities in the commercial project life-cycle

Esteemed rocket scientists.

The Purple Squad has been working on a few entitlement issues for the
last two weeks. Though we are working on different individuals, we have
all discovered possible changes we could make the commercial project
life cycle to address several issues.

1. I do not see anything preventing Lp from issuing a complimentary
commercial subscription. No visits to the Canonical store or
conversations with salesforce are needed. When the project maintainer
states that the project is proprietary, Lp issue a 2 or 4 week
complimentary commercial superscription, which entitles the maintainer
to set proprietary-by-default bugs and branches, or make the project
proprietary.

    * Canonical staff can thus setup a project in without waiting hours
      or days to arrange for a voucher to get a commercial
      subscription. The project can safely be used at the moment of
      creation
    * Prospective customers can try the commercial features. We do not
      need to leave a note in the project white board reminding me not
      to disable the project.

2. When a commercial subscription is about to expire the maintainer is
given a choice of purchasing another subscription, transitioning the
project to public, or deactivating the project.

    * I send out expiration emails when I remember to. I make projects
      public on request. I deactivate projects when the subscription
      has expired.
    * Lp should send out the email automatically and it should handle
      the deactivation or proprietary projects.
    * Many private projects transition to public ones. They also do not
      use the full 12 months of the commercial subscription.
      Maintainers should be able to make their project public at any
      time.

--
Curtis Hovey
http://launchpad.net/~sinzui