Re: Feature Request: Like/Dislike Buttons

On 15 February 2012 23:09, Laura Czajkowski
<laura.czajkowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> I came across a question today on launchpad Questions that I thought would
> get a better discussion on here first before I or anyone else replies to it.
> The question is could like/dislike buttons be added on bugs which would
> would encourage more interaction and also like many other sites nowadays
> have a +1 to comments
> https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/187822

Aloha,

Here was a previous discussion:
https://lists.launchpad.net/launchpad-dev/msg08536.html

In my view there are a few different related things people refer to as
"+1", or which +1-like buttons are used for on other sites

0- "Voting" for a particular bug to be fixed.  I think affectsmetoo
does pretty well on this but the details could be improved: better ui
hints to use it, perhaps showing distinct trends on this, perhaps
using it more  to hint dupe finders.

1- Encouraging/enabling people to share links to the site into social
networks, so that more people learn about Launchpad and about the
projects hosted on Launchpad.  By definition this isn't something that
can be done selfcontained within Launchpad itself - we need to share
to g+, twitter, fb, whatever.  Especially for g+, this also gives
hints to Google to help them improve search results.

The naive way of doing this runs slap into Launchpad's policy against
running 3rd-party js.  We could try adding 'share' buttons in a way
that does not run thirdparty js, or in  a way that runs only a cached
verified copy.  To some extent users who care about this can share
things with no help from Launchpad, but helping increases the effect.
There are other things we can do to help such as adding
microformats/metadata.

2- "Thanks" to people who fix things or contribute something useful
(maybe also for projects, ppas, etc).  Hopefully this makes people
feel their contributions are more worthwhile and it's more likely
they'll do more.

3- Surfacing the most useful comments in large pages.

4- Avoiding low-content "me too", "I agree" or "thanks" posts by
giving people another outlet to express this.

5- Identifying important (often upvoted) or "high standing" users.

--
Martin