Re: disabling longpoll

On 12-02-18 12:09 PM, Julian Edwards wrote:
> On Saturday 18 Feb 2012 07:32:06 Robert Collins wrote:
>> The wildcard approach would indeed support up to 23 *total* tabs in
>> the browser : but note that on the 24th tab, the site will halt. This
>
> Don't you mean 23 tabs that have merge proposals open?  No other page holds a
> long connection to LP.  Also, someone said this only affects Firefox I think?

No, it affects all browsers. They all have global and per host limits.

Chrome: 6/32
Firefox: 15/30

So you hang code.launchpad.net after 6 merge proposal tabs in Chrome, 15
in Firefox, and with 30 merge proposal tabs, you basically starve the
whole browser.

> This is why I think this will be virtually a non-issue once we fix the
> wildcard domain.
>
>> cap is shared amongst all pages, so twitter, facebook, identi,ca,
>> gmail, google plus - each of those counts towards the limit; you don't
>> actually need /all that/ many things active to run into a limit.
>>
>> I think the wildcard approach + docs is a reasonable first step, but I
>> think we need to make sure we can tell how many concurrent polls users
>> have (because that will cost *us* as well) - one way would be to
>> capture the LP username in the long poll request and log it : even if
>> its not trusted data (e.g. not secure) we'd be able to get indicative
>> statistics ('total concurrency was no higher than N for X users').
>
> If we knew how many long polls were open we could just stop providing pages
> that have long polls once the limit is reached.

We should probably have a limit that prevents the user from crippling is
overall browsing experience.

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx