Re: server side rendering, client side rendering, forms, oh my.

On 02/20/2012 11:55 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> tl;dr: lets:
>  * render searchable content on server side and client side using a
> common template language
>  * render the forms needed to file a bug server side and optionally client side
>  * render all other forms exclusively client side and have them
> communicate exclusively via the API

I am cautiously +1

> Currently we render most content server side (even things returned via
> the API are often rendered server side to HTML: aieeeeee); this often
> has performance issues (and see the separate discussion about
> templating engines for other considerations). But, nearly all our
> users have solid javascript browsers - browsers that can easily
> support tools like handlebars.

Lp engineers and/or YUI do not appear to work well with IE 7, 8, 9. How
do you propose IE works when JavaScript does not. I really do not have
Windows on any of my computers.

> Google won't index javascript-rendered content (at least, that is
> their official position) - they recommend folk have a server side
> rendered version of anything they need indexed. So we'd want to render
> anything that should get indexed (e.g. /~flacoste, or
> /ubuntu/+source/gcc etc) on the server still, but we can use a common
> template, and a common initial-data-assembly routine (the lp cache in
> the view) to only write that once. (Yes, this assumes being indexed by
> big search engines matters... a separate and interesting debate, but
> currently we assume it does, and though I may be prejudging such a
> discussion, I think it still matters).

Treat Google as a blind idiot-savant. Aiming to solve accessibility
problems will address most, if not all indexing issues. We don't need to
address 4.5:1 text:background contrast to help bots, but it will help a
few users. I use http://achecker.ca/ to review pages that I believe are
not properly indexed by google.

--
Curtis Hovey