Re: disabling longpoll

2012/2/21 Richard Harding <rick.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> > You don't need to ask the server anything. The server just has to
>> > return an appropriate error code if there are too many connections.
>> > The client can try again in several seconds. This is the simplest fix.
>> > We already have a cookie that can be used to identify a browser at the
>> > server end.
>>
>> I'm not sure we want to have that "intelligent" longpoll logic on the
>> server side (mostly for performance reason)…

Sharing the state between multiple longpoll servers is the problem.

> It's definitely something though that has potential to get off if say the
> browser crashes or something. I wonder if there's a decent "reset" point to
> clear the localStorage count, say on user login or something.

Connections are long, not infinitely long. If we store the connection
timestamp, 'lost' connections will expire and the counters back to
normal in maybe 15 minutes. We don't need a perfect solution as long
as we don't leak too much.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.bishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>