Re: Managing Sharing - Mock-ups

On 02/29/2012 10:25 AM, curtis Hovey wrote:
> On 02/29/2012 08:39 AM, Dan Harrop-Griffiths wrote:

>> Other things:
>>
>> The '+share' button is still on the mock-ups. The point of moving the
>> search box was to retire this button, as it was confusing to 4/5 users
>> I tested it with. Can we please remove it from the mock-ups?

I am certain users failed to find the '+share' action because the text
is vague and not close the listing of users who are shared with.

2010 testing showed that we had to put the link near the table. The text
of the link had to reinforce what and who was in the action. I put the
"+ Add observer" under the table.

The terminology has changed, and we ignored the old test findings. We
can put a "+Share with a user or team" link above the table.

Maybe the language should be "+Share with a team or user". Sharing with
users should be rare because it increased the number of things you need
to review. The "number of things" problem is one of central failings of
subscribing users to bugs and branch. It is very difficult to to ensure
everyone has the proper access. Project maintainers should be thinking
of teams before they think of users.

--
Curtis Hovey
http://launchpad.net/~sinzui