Re: Clarifying the difference between graceful degradation and regression

On 12-03-13 10:23 AM, Curtis Hovey wrote:
> I doubt anyone can provide a specific reason why this or other code
> should not be executed by all IE browsers. I suspect this embarrassing
> chunk of code was cargo-culted from older code written by naive
> engineers with YUI pre-release code thinking about IE 6.

Unfortunately, it probably dates from later than you think. I remember
discussions on the weekly AJAX call about our support for IE and we
agreed that disabling non-working features on IE was fine.

That might not have been the most clever way to achieve that, and I
agree that testing features is better than testing browser, but in that
case, there might not have been a way to test a feature to easily work
around the behavior (javascript is supported, but that actual JS would
actually break IE).

Anyway, I'm +1 on removing these special cases and seeing more clearly
what is the actual state of things.

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx