Staging & qastaging running with PostgreSQL 9.1

The staging databases have been upgraded to PostgreSQL 9.1.

The upgrade was done inplace, taking just under 10 minutes for
pg_upgrade to run. Actual downtime was longer as we had missed one of
the preparatory steps (checklists updated).

Clients running under our standard Lucid environment fail to
communicate sanely with PostgreSQL 9.1, as text types get quoted
incorrectly. The problem and fix was immediately apparent because
Landscape had suffered the exact same issue. I've opened RT#51902, as
it is now apparent that all our servers running PostgreSQL clients
need to be upgraded from libpq4 to libpq5.

Apart from smoke testing on staging, including cross version
replication, we are ready for production upgrades to start 23rd April.
The Precise release schedule will of course be the biggest factor in
deciding when the upgrades actually start. Upgrades will be staggered,
slave databases first. I expect the upgrade of the master will be done
with a scheduled 30 minute outage window. The alternative is two short
outages while we promote slaves to master and a period we are running
with a single slave and half our usual CPU power on the master.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.bishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Follow ups