Re: Dropping nonsensical bug sort orders

Hi, William.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM, William Grant
<william.grant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As part of the Better Privacy project I'm rewriting bug search to use
> the new BugTaskFlat table. This should make most bug searches very fast,
> as well as cleaning up the code a bit.
>
> But as I refactor lp.bugs.model.bugtasksearch, I notice that there are
> some mildly crazy sort orders, most notably "specification" and "tag".
> Both of these take the alphabetically first linked spec or tag for each
> bug, and sort alphabetically based on that -- not exactly obvious,
> performant or useful.
>
> So I'd like to drop them. "specification" doesn't seem to be accessible
> from the UI at all, but "tag" has a sort lozenge. I seem to recall that
> the lozenges also exist as a bit of a legend for the table content, so
> perhaps dropping the tag lozenge is not ideal. What do people think?

I think specification can safely go away. For tags, I'd consult with
stakeholders via mrevell and the product team before dropping it.
Like you, I can't see how the current implementation is very useful;
however, this was specifically asked for by them. It was one of their
must haves, in fact.  So I would get feedback from them first about if
the current tag sort on bug listings is useful or not.  If not, then
you could drop it.

However, as you note, the bug listing code assumes a one-for-one
relationship between what can be toggled on and off in the display and
what can be sorted on. If tag sort is dropped, we'll have a field that
can be turned on and off in the display but not sorted on.  The code
will probably need some care to remove or work around this assumption.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge