Re: Removing IArchive.commercial

On Tuesday 01 May 2012 09:12:28 you wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Julian Edwards
>
> <julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Monday 30 Apr 2012 17:28:27 Jonathan Lange wrote:
> >> We think that removing 'commercial' would make Launchpad simpler and
> >> reduce its maintenance costs. However, we would want to still be able
> >> to subscribe people without sending them emails. It's on this that we
> >> want your input.
> >
> > Can you explain a bit more why you think it would make LP simpler?
> >  Bearing in
> > mind you still want to do the same thing elsewhere:
> Because it would have less stuff in it.

I thought you said you wanted to remove it and implement it differently, which
doesn't say to me that it would have less stuff in it.  I'm sorry if I
misunderstood you?

> What do you mean by the same
> thing elsewhere? Do you mean preventing other "normal" PPA emails from
> going out?

Yes, you want to prevent PPA emails going to SC users, right?

> If that's the behaviour we need (mails sent to uploaders who aren't
> archive subscribers or if the archive is used for the Software
> Centre), then that sounds like intrinsic complexity. All decoupling
> will do is take the 'if' statements about mail in Soyuz and turn them
> into 'if' statements about events in a mail dispatcher.

Yes, that's true to some extent, but if you'd seen the code I am talking about
you'd be fairly horrified. :)

> > Ideally we need a separate subscription mechanism that clearly delineates
> > email sending from the Soyuz innards.  I think Rob had some ideas for that
> > to use Rabbit as part of the SOA push.  Decoupling email entirely from LP
> > would be marvellous.
>
> Well, that's rather paralyzing. Is there no middle ground?

There almost certainly is.  I was just pointing out where Rob wants to go with
emails in the hope that we/you can do something that is heading in that
direction.  I'd hate for you to write something that is thrown away at some
point!

Sorry, I can't really spend a great deal of time helping since I am not really
working on LP these days, although I'm very happy to at least try and help
someone else improve this area as it's one that I know well and have spent far
too long getting frustrated about.

Cheers