Re: Next steps for Better Privacy

On 05/08/2012 01:38 AM, William Grant wrote:

> Thoughts, criticism, support, fatal flaws?

I have a few remarks. We stalled in sharing development last month
because we discovered many corner cases involving bug mail and
subscriptions (as access control and notification).

While we wanted to enable new sharing features for just some users, bug
changes generate in-proc notifications. Users who are *not* in the test
group will be seeing the new terminology via email. This will lead to a
lot of confusion. There are also behavioural differences in the UI too,
such as a beta tester can report a private non-security bug that the
project maintainer is not prepared to handle. We are restructuring our
changes to introduce terminology changes first. When we switch sharing
on, it will be for everyone. We just landed changes that permit us to
turn it sharing on and off and maintaining old and new behaviour.

Sharing will not leave beta until structural subscriptions work with
private bugs. Lp will not be automatically subscribing lots of users
when bugs are made private. Only the bug reporter and user who adds a
bug task will be automatically subscribed...thus self-granting access to
private information. since subscription is not about access, structural
subscriptions should just work with all bugs. If you have access to the
bug and it matches your filter, then it you get notified.

--
Curtis Hovey
http://launchpad.net/~sinzui