Re: LEP: Improve our Launchpad setup scripts

On Thursday 31 May 2012 14:32:23 Gary Poster wrote:
>  * Robert encouraged us to only support lightweight checkouts, and not
> branches (for colocated use or otherwise), again for a tighter focus.
> We felt we mostly had the code for branches anyway, and we knew some
> people (Aaron, for instance) liked and used colocated branches, so we
> wanted to keep them.  That said, this is perhaps a maintenance burden,
> and perhaps it would be appropriate to push back on us here, so we'll
> certainly listen.

On the subject of lightweight checkouts, I think if you guys don't use them
you should give it a try in a colo tree.  When I made the switch I went from
waiting minutes to seconds to start working on a new branch because you don't
need to rebuild everything in a new directory.

I also use no-tree branching, so my normal workflow is this:

$ bzr branch trunk new-branch
(instant operation)
$ cd <my checkout dir>
$ bzr switch new-branch