Re: Yellow retrospective meeting notes 2012-06-01

Hi!

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Gary Poster <gary.poster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you read this email, please give us feedback on how we could make our
> communication better.  We've gotten some positive feedback on these
> emails, but also some hints that they are falling into the tl;dr trap
> for some or most people.
>
> Do you have some ideas on how we can better share what we are doing?
> I'm trying headlines this time for each item.  Would a blog instead or
> in addition be better?

I look forward to these, they are well written and I learn from them.
Putting them on a blog and notifying the mailing list that a new blog
post is up with the headlines from the content would also work very
well.

> = New tricks =
>
>  * frankban: ``apt-get install stress``
>
> The stress command is a cool debugging tool that is good for seeing how
> testrunner works on a loaded machine. It can stress load average,
> memory, cpu, and disk writes.  It is good for seeing how testrunner
> works on a loaded machine, and he used it to examine some timeout bugs
> in our JavaScript tests.

The spew tool/package is also very handy for measuring/generating I/O load.

>  * benji: checkmarkable.com is available
>
> Robert gave us access to checkmarkable.com.  Have any of us used it?
> gary_poster: I tried it for the checklist for this meeting and found it
> wanting for this use case: only for simple checklists, a la CHR tasks.

I tried checkmarkable briefly, and feel like yet another tool is not
worth it for something (checklists) which can so easily be done in a
google docs spreadsheet or a google docs form which records results
into a spreadsheet. I have no objections to folks using it, just feel
mildly skeptical that it's worth pushing the tool.

--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/