Re: Yellow retrospective meeting notes: June 8

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Gary Poster <gary.poster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This process works well for us.  It's also scriptable. gary_poster might or
> might not be close to a rough Go version of a script that does this.

Cool. I look forward to seeing that :) [Also, well done on process-izing it]

> benji: escaping from the lxc login
>
> OK, this didn't actually happen at the meeting, but later I found out from
> benji how to escape from the lxc login.  For instance, if you use lxc-start
> to start an lxc container, and then lxc-console to use the container, and
> then you want to exit, logging out won't cut it: you'll be challenged to log
> in again.  The trick is to use ctrl-a q (or with screen, ctrl-a a q) when
> you are being asked for to log in.

This is cool.

> Pair programming usually helps us move cards, but it didn't for these too.
>  Does the observer programmer need to keep some things in mind?  We agree
> that the observer should be actively skeptical and watch the other person's
> back. When something doesn't make sense, this is a trigger for both parties
> to check assumptions and step back. ACTION: gary_poster will try making
> these thoughts into a simple checklist.

I look forward to seeing this. I'm reminded of something from Harry
Potter and the Methods of Rationality (http://hpmor.com/). He has a
trick where he says to himself, "I notice that I am confused", on the
understanding that fiction is more likely to confuse than reality. In
so much as code is a model of reality, it's a good one to hang on to.
See also http://lesswrong.com/lw/if/your_strength_as_a_rationalist/.

cheers,
jml