Re: LEP: simple bug linking

On 06/29/2012 05:49 PM, Matthew Revell wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Here's my first draft of a LEP for the simple bug linking feature:
>
>   https://dev.launchpad.net/LEP/SimpleBugLinking

I am not sure this LEP covers the pain point that private projects will
introduce. The common case will be there is no public bug, there is only
a *proprietary* bug. Proprietary bug cannot be shared with other
projects. User current use "Affects project" and "Affects distribution"
to add. Either we hide these actions, and require developers to think
about what they want to do, it Lp recognises that either action leads to
a scenario where the user must report the public bug, and Lp will make
the link for them.

The key issues are that there are too many ways to link a bug now, we
want fewer. Lp must not let the user make a choice that leads to a dead
end. Lp should help the user create the public bug to *minimise* what is
disclosed on the public bug. When linking to an existing public bug, the
UI must provide enough information to gain the users trust that the
action is correct...who hasn't linked to the wrong using the existing
link bug picker?

I think we need to hear from DX and Product Strategy who's project will
be private for 6 to 12 months. They do not work like PES and are less
likely to use and maintain API scripts.

See Managing separate conversations at
http://blog.launchpad.net/general/bug-linking-part-2

--