js timeout issues on ec2 due to deep js namespaces

tl;dr

Watch the naming of JS modules and their test suites. Shorter is better.
Let's share namespaces among files/modules more.

I've been battling to land a change that pulled a bunch of JS out of the
product-new.pt and into a proper YUI module. Everything was fine until I
went to ec2 land. The JS tests kept failing due to a JS timeout error.
Thanks to Deryck's help (and sounds like Paul as well) it came out that the
timeout was, at least partially, caused by having a large nested namespace
for the files.

The new code was in a ridiculous namespace of Y.lp.registry.product.views
which made the test suite Y.lp.registry.product.views.test. This deep
nesting provides a performance hit in JS and normally you'd do something
like

var ns = Y.lp.registry.product.view;

provide a better namespacing going forward.

We're proposing dropping the lp from the namespace tree all together. In
exchange we do have to watch out for collisions among the YUI codebase, but
it's well documented and shouldn't be an issue. For instance, we can't have
a module that would add the namespace Y.Array. Maybe we'd have to use
Y.LPArray if we ever really didn't have a better name for it.

We also should share namespaces among files better. So we're going to push
for a standard of:

Y.$app.$namespace. For instance, my code in question added a bunch of JS
for the product. So I created Y.registry.views.NewProduct. Other modules
and files can share that same namespace Y.registry.views and add on other
classes such as ViewProduct, EditProduct, etc. They can all be in their own
files and modules, but share the same namespace cleanly and prevent us from
layering too deep.

Please keep this all in mind during code reviews and if you have any
questions please let me know.

--

Rick Harding

Launchpad Developer