Re: [Merge] lp:~lifeless/launchpad/uniqueconfig into lp:launchpad/devel

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:32 PM, Brad Crittenden
<brad.crittenden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As to the fear that people will be unwilling to wander into the dark corners of the code base for fear they will be accountable for cleaning it all up, I'm not convinced that will be the way most of us will work.  Our enforcement of cleaning up things you touch is not heavy handed.  Henning asked that you have a follow-on branch but did not demand it as a condition of approval.  It is simply our agreement that we'll all share, more or less, in the less interesting chore of cleaning up after ourselves.

This isn't a fear I'm expressing, it's direct and indirect
observation; just today I had an anecdote repeated to me of someone
being told (by their mentor in the job when they joined) 'dont touch
that thing, you'll be asked to clean it up'.

> Robert I think your views expressed here are bigger than the issue at hand and represent an idea that our development process, not just our review process, is fundamentally flawed.  I think you need to find the appropriate forum to make suggestions and solicit input from everyone.

Oh, I'm sure they are, and those things are being discussed.

I didn't think I was being required to do a follow on branch; but
henninge expressed deep concern about an interest payment on tech
debt; thats evidence that something is wrong: we have the tech debt
already, its a chilling effect to be concerned about working on things
which have tech debt *because they have debt*.

I have two things that are important here:
 - what to do with this patch
 - moving the larger discussion forward

The second aspect is already underway.

-Rob
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~lifeless/launchpad/uniqueconfig/+merge/38689
Your team Launchpad code reviewers is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~lifeless/launchpad/uniqueconfig into lp:launchpad/devel.