[Merge] lp:~benji/launchpad/bug-768336 into lp:launchpad

Benji York has proposed merging lp:~benji/launchpad/bug-768336 into lp:launchpad.

Requested reviews:
  Launchpad code reviewers (launchpad-reviewers)
Related bugs:
  Bug #768336 in Launchpad itself: "Subscribing to a bug doesn't show display name on FF4"
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/768336

For more details, see:
https://code.launchpad.net/~benji/launchpad/bug-768336/+merge/58830

Bug 768336 describes a problem when subscribing to a bug: "on FF4, the
added row in the portlet only contains the person icon and the remove
icon, without my display name."

It turns out that there is a race condition when looking up a
subscriber's information via the web service.  The request is dispatched
asynchronously, but the caller expects the results to be available when
the request-dispatching function returns; it often is not.

It looked like I was going to have to refactor the entire call chain to
be asynchronous, but there were two places where functions were called
without needing to return a result and they could be used as the points
to splice in asynchronous behavior without being hacky.

I can no longer reproduce the bug in FF4 and Chrome continues to work.

The existing tests continue to pass, they can be run by loading
lib/lp/bugs/javascript/tests/test_subscriber.html in a browser.

I made a small, related change by removing the unused displaynameload
event and associated test.

This branch is lint-free.

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~benji/launchpad/bug-768336/+merge/58830
Your team Launchpad code reviewers is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~benji/launchpad/bug-768336 into lp:launchpad.