[Merge] lp:~jtv/maas/ignore-unused into lp:maas

The proposal to merge lp:~jtv/maas/ignore-unused into lp:maas has been updated.

Description changed to:

We have a few places where we import symbols that we don't actually use in the same module, e.g. because they're only there to be re-exported through __all__.  So far we've been suppressing lint warnings about these by mentioning the unused symbols as stand-alone statements, which is a bit ugly.

Here, as discussed on one occasion with Julian and today with Raphaël as well, I create a dedicated helper that does absolutely nothing.  Passing it a symbol, however, makes lint checkers consider that symbol used.  And presto: no more warning!

This is slightly more explicit than just mentioning something for no apparent reason, and moves some of the documentation need into code.  Code is often a better way to express things than comments are.

There will be conflicts on this branch, due to a migration-prep branch I've also got underway which adds migration notices to nearby lines.  No biggie.

Jeroen

For more details, see:
https://code.launchpad.net/~jtv/maas/ignore-unused/+merge/109200
--
https://code.launchpad.net/~jtv/maas/ignore-unused/+merge/109200
Your team Launchpad code reviewers is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~jtv/maas/ignore-unused into lp:maas.