[Merge] lp:~cjwatson/launchpad/virtualenv-pip into lp:launchpad

The proposal to merge lp:~cjwatson/launchpad/virtualenv-pip into lp:launchpad has been updated.

Description changed to:

Convert build system to virtualenv and pip.

This is a more or less complete rewrite of the build system to get us to the
point where we can upgrade packages with non-trivial uses of setup_requires.
It will only work on xenial (precise would be possible in principle, but
requires somewhat more complicated bootstrapping of the virtualenv that
doesn't seem worth it now).

This requires some package upgrades:

Twisted: 13.0.0-p2 -> 13.0.0post3
  Use PEP 440-compliant version.
d2to1: 0.2.10 -> 0.2.12
  Cope with modern setuptools.
distribute: 0.6.36 -> 0.7.3
  Switch to legacy wrapper for modern setuptools.
launchpad-buildd: 136 -> 157
  Normalise Python packaging to avoid buildd-slave.tac being installed at
  the root of the virtualenv.
pip: 1.4 -> 9.0.1
  Modern pip.
setuptools: 0.6c11 -> 36.4.0
  Modern setuptools.
setuptools-git: 1.0 -> 1.2
  Avoid a significant performance regression.
virtualenv-tools3: None -> 2.0.0
  Used to relocate virtualenvs.
wheel: None -> 0.29.0
  For now we're still mostly using sdists, but some eggs need to be replaced
  with corresponding wheels.
z3c.recipe.tag: 0.6 -> None
  No longer needed.  The ID Makefile target was already broken so I removed
  it, and it's relatively easy to provide good-enough reimplementations of
  TAGS and tags.
zope.pagetemplate: 3.5.0-p1 -> 3.5.0.post2
  Cherry-pick dependency tweak; use PEP 440-compliant version.

Some bits of application code need minor adjustments to cope with the
changes to the Python module path.

For more details, see:
https://code.launchpad.net/~cjwatson/launchpad/virtualenv-pip/+merge/331388
--
Your team Launchpad code reviewers is requested to review the proposed merge of lp:~cjwatson/launchpad/virtualenv-pip into lp:launchpad.