[Merge] ~cjwatson/launchpad:fix-librarian-swift-multiple-instances into launchpad:master

The proposal to merge ~cjwatson/launchpad:fix-librarian-swift-multiple-instances into launchpad:master has been updated.

Description changed to:

The multiple-instance mode that I added in https://code.launchpad.net/~cjwatson/launchpad/+git/launchpad/+merge/401127 turned out not to work quite right when we actually tried to use it on production, because the instances raced with each other to list directories and remove files from those directories in a way that could result in exceptions while checking for recently-modified files.

Based on a change already applied to production by William Grant; I added a corresponding test.

For more details, see:
https://code.launchpad.net/~cjwatson/launchpad/+git/launchpad/+merge/430821
--
Your team Launchpad code reviewers is requested to review the proposed merge of ~cjwatson/launchpad:fix-librarian-swift-multiple-instances into launchpad:master.