Re: launchpadlib anonymous access?

Hi Leonard,

Leonard Richardson [2009-01-12 12:39 -0500]:
> > So, is this possibly but just not obvious, or is it intended that
> > there be no anonymous access?
>
> It's intended that there be no anonymous access. The web service doesn't
> have some common use cases of the website (eg. search engine crawlers
> or people coming in from lists of search results) and we want to be able
> to throttle usage for people who are doing too much expensive stuff
> through the web service.

This is bothering me as well, and prevents me from effectively using
launchpadlib in e. g. apport.

Given that python-launchpad-bugs is much slower and puts much more
load on the server, and that one could work around this by creating a
bogus user on Launchpad and hardcode its username/password in the
software, I don't think the "no anonymous user" design can be either
effectively enforced nor makes sense.

Martin