Re: Query about updating the messages.pot and beyond

Roger Sperberg escribió:
> The developer of XML Copy Editor released version 1.0.9.6
> <http://1.0.9.6> this week.

Hi

> One message was changed, and two messages deleted.
>
> Plus a lot of comment messages like this:
> #: globalreplacedialog.cpp :138
> had the number in them changed.
>
> I know that I can upload the new messages.pot file. But what happens at
> that point?
>
> Will all the translated messages in the different languages match up
> automatically? Do I need to upload new .po files for each language that
> correspond to the same sequence and number of messages in version
> 1.0.9.6 <http://1.0.9.6>?

Yes, We will update the existing .po files automatically.

You don't need to upload new .po files if they don't have new translations.

> This is obviously really a minor upgrade. No one will be wanting to use
> version 1.0.9.5 <http://1.0.9.5> instead of 1.0.9.6 <http://1.0.9.6>.
> But I'm wondering what happens when version 2.0 comes out and there are
> major changes. Presumably at that point we will want to have a template
> for the 1.0.x  program and a template for 2.0.x. Can someone point me to
> the place in the documentation that discusses what to do at that juncture?

We don't have any concrete document about the use case you ask for.

Usually, if you are not going to release any new version for 1.0.x,
instead of adding a new template for 2.0.x, I would suggest you to
upload the new 2.0.x template where you have now the 1.0.x. It makes no
sense to leave an old template available for translations if no one is
going to use it anymore.

If you are going to do releases in both branches, just go ahead and
request a new template upload for 2.0.x like was donefor 1.0.x,
including any available translation for 2.0.x and Launchpad will show
you suggestions between both branches automatically so you can see
changes from one branch in the other.

Cheers.

> Thanks,
>
> Roger Sperberg
> Khmer translator for XML Copy Editor
>

> --
> firstinitial lastname at gmail
> Cambodian Language Exercises -- cambodian.tiddlyspot.com
> <http://cambodian.tiddlyspot.com>
> Beginning Cambodian Reader -- cambodian-reader.tiddlyspot.com
> <http://cambodian-reader.tiddlyspot.com>

- --
Carlos Perelló Marín
Ubuntu => http://www.ubuntu.com