Re: building for multiple releases

Hi Monty,

Monty Taylor [2007-08-06 17:46 -0700]:
> Is there (or can there be) any magical way to indicate more than one
> release that a source package should be built for?

This was indeed possible in Debian by having several targets in the
changelog in the past. However, we do not do that in Ubuntu because it
is not compatible with the "pool" archive structure, where all
releases share the same version number namespace.

You cannot build the same version of binaries in three different
releases, since it results in one and the same .deb file name. And
just building it on the oldest release is likely to break library
dependencies, SONAME transitions, etc.

Martin
--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de