Re: Launchpad Translation suggestions

Hello Uwe,

First off: welcome and thanks for taking part!

It would be great to be able to offer alternate wording suggestions directly on the translations page. This could be done via a message to the author or simply by entering new wording.

That would be great, yes. It could be hard to make those suggestions go back to the authors in some systematic way though, and I'm not even sure it's always possible. So don't expect anything like this soon!

For now, the best thing to do is probably to contact the authors directly and work together with them.

It would also be great to be able to see the extracted phrase in context. A screen shot or something. I realise this isn't as easy to achieve as the first suggestion.

That would involve massive amounts of work and storage, especially as programs grow and evolve. It may be easier to run the program you're translating and look for yourself.

Perhaps I'm missing something and the English is already a translation from someone else. Is there a way to find the root language of a translation job?

As far as Launchpad is concerned, the root language is always English. This is also the convention for gettext. I think it's exceedingly rare for the English messages to be written as a translation from some other language.

Jeroen