Re: PPA licenses

Matthew East wrote:

I didn't attend the devel-meeting today. How was the discussion ?

I had a look at the log: the position seems to be that the licenses
for packages which are accepted for redistribution in Ubuntu are ok,
and I presume this means packages included in Ubuntu's "main"
component only.

Here's an edited excerpt from the meeting log:

04:30 mrevell "What is the position for packages which contain material which is distributed under licenses which aren't in [the opensource.org] list but which are still free?" 04:30 mrevell He continues: "Although the opensource.org website itself appears to be licensed under a Creative Commons (attribution) license, no Creative Commons licenses appear in the list, nor does the GFDL." 04:31 jamesh mrevell: are we talking about source code material or non-source code materiel? 04:31 mrevell jamesh: In mdke's particular case, he's talking about Ubuntu documentation. 04:32 SteveA mrevell: on the licence issue, what packages have GFDL or CC stuff that have given rise to this question?
04:32	mrevell	jamesh: Some of which is GPL, some GFDL and so on.
04:32 mrevell SteveA: I believe mdke is looking at using PPA to create packages for the docs team. 04:32 SteveA I think if something is good enough for the CC, it's good enough for us. That's just, like, my opinion.
04:32	SteveA	kiko: what do you think?
04:33	SteveA	the CC as in the Community Council
04:33 jamesh SteveA: a lot of GNU packages have GFDL documentation which would bar them from our current T.O.S.
04:33	SteveA	not the Creative Commons
04:33	kiko	I agree with SteveA
04:33	kiko	so perhaps our TOS needs amending
04:33 SteveA jamesh: I'm proposing amending the TOS to include GFDL if the Com Coun has approved GFDL stuff for inclusion in ubuntu
04:33	kiko	what SteveA said!
04:33	danilos	I'd agree on that one
04:34 mpt SteveA, Ubuntu CC approval makes sense as long as PPAs are only for Ubuntu 04:34 SteveA mrevell: so, the answer is, if you get a request to allow a licence that isn't in our TOS
04:34	SteveA	mrevell: then check whether the CC allows it in Ubuntu
04:34	mrevell	SteveA: thank you
04:34 SteveA mrevell: if so, then ask on the launchpad list for an addition to our TOS
04:34	elmo	GFDL is fine for Ubuntu
04:34	SteveA	(perhaps by filing a bug)

That satisfies me fine, because the packages I'm interested in are;
although if PPA is provided to people for more systems than Ubuntu
(Ubuntu derivatives and Debian?), this may become problematic, as I
think mpt pointed out during the meeting.

If that does give rise to problems, I wonder if it might be possible
to combine references to opensource.org with a reference to GNU
accepted free licenses [1]. That would cover the licenses I'm
interested in and hopefully most others.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#SoftwareLicenses

Celso, do you have an opinion on that?

--
Matthew Revell - talk to me about Launchpad
Join us in #launchpad on irc.freenode.net