Re: Upstream access to Ubuntu package bugs

Hi,

Matthew Revell [2007-09-06 15:10 +0100]:
> Hobbsee told me that the upstream Amarok team want to deal with bugs
> reported against the Ubuntu Amarok package.

That is great! Upstream looking into LP bugs is the best thing that
can happen to us. It avoids the hassle of forwarding bugs upstream,
reformulating them along the way, and keeping the information in sync.

> I'm told that they've expressed frustration at not being able to set
> importances, see private bugs and set wishlist bugs. These tasks are
> reserved for the Ubuntu drivers, as it's an Ubuntu package and not the
> upstream project.

I agree that upstream should actually create, use, and mangle
upstream tasks for this, once they see a bug they want to work on.
Setting importances is relative for a distro (a wishlist bug of
upstream might be of high importance for us for a particular release),
thus should be limited to distro-qa, and they should indeed not be
able to look into private bug reports (which are usually security
related), until getting subscribed.

So I agree to Kiko that the answer is along the way of making it
possible to see distro bugs through the upstream (product) context,
and straightforward to add upstream tasks to them (FWIW, the current
question of "... is not reported against foo, do you want to create a
task" is good enough IMHO). This would also be beneficial for the
upstream projects we maintain in the distro team. I always find it
confusing to have to look at two different places to see bugs for
apport and restricted-manager.

Thanks,

Pitti

--