My PPA experience

Hi,

I was asked to share my experiences with the new PPA feature. After a
few rather large builds, I feel it's time to do that.

I'm using a PPA to build MythTV from SVN trunk as part of the Mythbuntu
project. We have a nifty build script which gets the latest MythTV code
from their SVN server, grabs a debian/ directory from  bzr (hosted on
Launchpad, thanks guys!) and creates four source packages: "mythtv"
itself, "mythplugins" which link against the libmyth(-dev) package
created by "mythtv" and two theme packages. Together, that's about 90M
I'm uploading every time (theme packages are ~55M).

After a few uploads, the status page reports: "Estimated archive size:
2.0 GiB" [1] which is twice as much as I'm allowed to use, AFAIK. Is
there a hard quota? If yes, how big can a PPA get? If you look at [1],
you'll find that old/superseded packages are still there. When are they
removed? Maybe you should add an option to manually remove failed/old
builds.

I had to rebuild quite often on the PPA to fix mistakes on my part and
was actually afraid someone would yell at me for wasting ressources-
what's the limit there?

Finally, the biggest problem I'm encountering:
mythplugins needs to link against the libmyth packages created by the
mythtv source package. However, sometimes the API version changes and
the plugins built against an older version of the API don't work with a
newer version of mythtv.

Unfortunately, the PPA is not quite smart enough to wait for the mythtv
package to be published before building mythplugins although mythplugins
is listed as a build-dependency.
While it is not *always* necessary to build against the lastest libmyth,
it is *sometimes* necessary and TBH, re-uploading the package to kick
off a new build is annoying.
Even when I'm uploading them in the right order, eg uploading mythtv
before mythplugins, it'll sometimes build mythplugins before mythtv.
Could this be changed?
Alternatively, the PPAs could have a smarter approach to resolving
build-dependency. When two packages are upload, where one build-depends
on the other one, build and publish the build-dependency first. Since my
uploads are often queued for quite some time, this should be possible.

Another thought: I'd be nice if I'd get an email once a build is finished.

OK, enough whining for today. You did a great job with the PPAs! Thanks!

Regards,

Michael

[1] https://edge.launchpad.net/~mythbuntu-trunk/+archive/