Re: translating gnome-user-docs

2007/9/12, Matthew East <mdke@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to ask people's opinions on something.
>
> In this release cycle Ubuntu has made some customisations to the
> gnome-user-docs packages, in particular regarding the Gnome User Guide
> and Gnome Accessibility Guide.
>
> The translations for these guides are maintained, in not too many
> languages, by the upstream teams.
>
> My question involves the Ubuntu changes. Would people prefer to see
> the templates for these uploaded to Rosetta as with ubuntu-docs, and
> translate them there? The advantages are of course that it's more
> convenient. The disadvantage is that commonly translators working on
> ubuntu-docs make changes to the original markup which results in
> invalidity and large amounts of work for me in importing and
> correcting the translations.

I don't think this is a good idea to put these templates with
ubuntu-docs. I've asked to members of French translation team to
translate ONLY Ubuntu specific packages and encouraged them to be
involved in upstream teams if they want to translate other application
or documentation. It would be quite confusing if some GNOME
documentation (wich isn't specific to ubuntu) comes with ubuntu-docs.

> I think that if we include the pot templates in Rosetta, we'll see
> translations for a lot more languages than before, but also we may see
> some translations including validity errors. The alternative is to ask
> translators to download the source code for the package and submit
> their po files individually, like the workflow used by Gnome upstream.
> I suspect that that might be an equal amount of work, what do you
> think?

If you think that include these templates in Rosetta is more
convenient and that it will improve the number of translations, it's
up to you ;) But please don't include it in ubuntu-docs.
Rosetta should be easier to use for many people, than working on a
translation software like Gtranslator or Kbabel and then upload the po
files.

--
Bruno