Re: Launchpad bug statuses

Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 11:00:49PM +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
>> For example, I usually forward Liferea bugs upstream on IRC, and the
>> upstream developer directly fixes it in SVN. What I do then is mark the
>> Ubuntu bug as Fix Committed, with the intention to close it with the
>> next bug-fix release.
>
> So this is interesting, because ideally you want some record that the
> bug has been forwarded and fixed upstream.

What I want is the bug to be fixed ;) I don't care that much whether
there's a record or not (it may be good to have it, but won't hurt if it
isn't there).

>     - First, liferea is registered at https://edge.launchpad.net/liferea
>       and indicates using SourceForge to track its bugs. Is that
>       correct?

Yes it is.

>     - Second, is part of the problem that it's a lot of work to report
>       the bug in SourceForge, and easier to just ping the person on IRC?

Well, it will take some time to me to report it to SF, whereas pinging
on irc is much faster. If I can avoid it, I do it (sometimes I can't,
though).

>     - Third, a question: why don't you report the bug upstream anyway,
>       and update its status manually? Too much work?

This looks like the second question, but yes, why should I report it in
SF if I ping the upstream author, he takes a look at the code, and fixes
the issue? It looks useless to me.

However, other times, the bug isn't that easy to fix, or the author has
other things more important to work on, and can't do it in that moment.
In those cases, I report the bug in the SF bug tracker, and I create a
task in the LP bug report. But as I said, if this can be avoided because
the fix is fixed as soon as I report it on IRC, then I prefer to waste
my time on triaging another bug, or doing something more useful than
report a bug just to close it.

>     - Fourth, would it help is Launchpad made it really easy for you to
>       post the bug to SourceForge, perhaps opening the bug-filing page
>       with all your details filled in and just waiting for you to
>       submit?

I think so. That would be really useful, since that would save a lot of
time (not that reporting a bug takes one hour, but when you report a
lot, then there's a big difference). This would have a big risk, though,
which is that there could be 'spam' in upstream's bug trackers, but this
could be avoided by only letting people in the Distribution Bug Contact
team to report bugs upstream using that method.

Also, I'm sure Sebastien will thank you if you implement this to forward
bugs to bugzilla.gnome.org ;)

> Thanks for bringing this use case up.

Hope this is useful for you to improve the workflow.

Best,
Emilio