Re: Launchpad bug statuses

Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 12:28:27PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 09:14:34PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > > * "Fix Committed (Please Test My Fix)"
> > >
> > > The status is used by the some teams to mark bugs which have been fixed
> > > upstream since it makes easier to review bugs that have a patch to
> > > backport or should be closed when the next version is uploaded
> >
> > I wonder if "Fix Exists" would be a better term for this state?
>
> It might, but then you get into the problem of distinguishing whether
> there is a patch out there in the wide world or in your official RCS
> repository (or a package in a random repository versus -proposed).

    The location and origin of the fix shouldn't matter, as long as
the correct solution is clearly available from the bug (attached or
linked), and represents a debdiff against the current package, a
pointer to a branch that needs to be merged, a pointer to an alternate
repository containing an updated package, a reference to a merged
changeset in the team RCS, etc.  There is a slight complication for
SRU issues, where the distinction between an Ubuntu-specific fix
having been prepared by someone (possibly not an official Ubuntu
developer) and the updated package being available in -proposed may
benefit from disambiguation.

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 04:50:20PM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> > Isn't the correct way to handle this to add the upstream project to launchpad
> > and set the bug so that it also affects upstream?  Then you can be explicit
> > about the bug's status upstream.
>
> Well, the issue is that Sebastian would like to be able to look at
> Ubuntu bugs and see which ones have been fixed upstream and which ones
> haven't. But I argue there is already a report that tells him that, in
> the advanced page of the bug search.

    Yes, but it's handy to see by default when looking at the buglist
for a package: it quickly identifies low hanging fruit that should be
included when preparing an upload (even if the developer was focused
on another issue with the package at the time of upload).  This is
also an argument against using a tag to identify this status.

--
Emmet HIKORY