Re: Launchpad bug statuses

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 05:07:42PM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> > > Isn't the correct way to handle this to add the upstream project to launchpad
> > > and set the bug so that it also affects upstream?  Then you can be explicit
> > > about the bug's status upstream.
> > >
> > > This came up recently here:
> > >
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/newt/+bug/54555
> >
> > Well, the issue is that Sebastian would like to be able to look at
> > Ubuntu bugs and see which ones have been fixed upstream and which ones
> > haven't. But I argue there is already a report that tells him that, in
> > the advanced page of the bug search.
>
> Launchpad sure does give you enough rope to ... choose an alternative workflow.
> Is there nothing that can be done to make the correct workflow more obvious?

Well, I'll make sure to add a news article that describes the process
from end to end -- i.e. Ubuntu bug, actually upstream, reported
upstream, fixed upstream, located via report and finally fixed in Ubuntu
via an upload.

However, there are a few things I'd like us to make much easier
meanwhile:

    - Making it possible to register a project as part of the
      add-a-bugwatch workflow.

        https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bugs/127126

    - Allowing you to pull Freshmeat details when registering a project:

        https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/147898

    - Making it possible to trivially file the bug in the upstream
      bugtracker in the add-a-bugwatch workflow.

        https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/malone/+spec/upstream-bug-searching-and-filing

    - Making it possible to forward bugs to mailing lists and email
      addresses, for upstreams that don't use bugtrackers. These would
      still need to have their statuses publically tracked, though.

        https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/malone/+spec/forwarding-to-email-address

Let's see what other messages in this thread suggest.
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3376 0125