Project structure for Ubuntu Documentation

Hi there,

Further to a quick exchange I had recently with Christian on irc, I'd
like to seek advice about the best way to structure the Ubuntu
documentation project on Launchpad.

The current structure is a bit of a mess. We have these two projects:

https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu-doc - main project
https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu-docs - historical umbrella project
created for reasons unknown ;)

We have bugs on the first project, but also on Ubuntu in the various
ubuntu-docs, kubuntu-docs, xubuntu-docs and edubuntu-docs source
packages.

We have code on the first project, and we intend to have one main
branch for each source package we produce in Ubuntu. So ubuntu-hardy,
kubuntu-hardy, xubuntu-hardy and edubuntu-hardy. Note that the
branches we have are intended to work as source packages: i.e. they
have debian directories and we intend in the future (to the extent
this isn't already true) to make them buildable "out of the branch".
There is a single team with commit rights to the various branches.

Translations are done in Ubuntu under the source packages.

The Ubuntu Documentation Project is not really an upstream project at
all, but in fact just works within Ubuntu. As such, logic would
probably dictate that we work on Ubuntu source packages only. However
my understanding is that there is no infrastructure in Launchpad to
enable us to host code or have close control of bug permissions
without an "upstream" project.

I'd be grateful for people's feedback on that point alone, but
assuming I'm right, then on that basis it seems to me that we need to
work with an "upstream" project that is closely associated with the
Ubuntu source package. That's particularly important for bugs, which
we get in both places, and translations, which we get in the Ubuntu
distribution location.

The next question is how to structure this project. I noticed recently
that there can only be one mainline branch associated with each
release series. As a result, I think we could have either of the
following structures:

* One release series per source package per Ubuntu release cycle.
* One project per source package with one release series per Ubuntu
release cycle (with an umbrella project to link them together).
* One project, with one release series per Ubuntu release cycle and
simply not bother associating all the branches with the release series
(i.e. as the ubuntu-doc project is now).
* Other?

Any opinions on which of these is better? I tend to associate release
series with time based releases so if that is right then perhaps the
first option is less attractive. But the second option seems pretty
high maintenance.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org