Re: Additional Font Support necessary for Indian language "Malayalam"

On 31-Oct-07, at 3:33 AM, arise peter mukkathu wrote:

Hai all............

Its a prod to be part of the   Translation for Linux Softwares.......
Unlike the English and other languages The Indian Language "Malayalam"
have have a large number of letters (>53 !!!!!). Its very difficult to
type malayalam as there is no virtual keyboard having all the letters
included. There is something called "KOOTTAKSHARAM" (nothing but
combining two or more letters!) is very important, and with out that
its very difficult to read and understand Malayalam.

Currently our site doesn't support many popular fonts like Karthika
which is commonly used, and the  font supported currently is not
alowwing the " KOOTTAKSHARAM".

I have attached some forts which r avaialble in my system i dont know
it wil b usefull or not!
but if possible pls include this fonts too.....

I think Launch Pad uses unicode (correct me if I am wrong) and if you have any unicode font installed on your machine then it should work fine. Typing Malayalam is a problem with using correct keyboard layout and not with Launch Pad.

I am able to type and view Telugu, another indian language, without any problem using firefox extension Indic Input[1].
There is one more similar extension Indic IME[2].

[1]: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3972
[2]: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2573

-Anand