Re: Nonstandard License in PPA -- SoulFu

Justin Dugger wrote:
> Hello, I have a question about licenses for packages in a PPA.  The
> game SoulFu has a fairly obnoxious license, apparently the attempt of
> the
> original author to create a working community development effort gone insane:

<snip>
> This license includes significant restrictions on changes to the game,
> and demands that no money be charged for the software itself.  I've
> written an email to the author requesting something saner,
> with no response thus far.  Would such a license be acceptable for a
> PPA hosted by Canonical?
>
> Justin Dugger

Wow, that's some license.
As it's a custom license and not under an OSI approved, FSF approved, or
CC license (and i'm not 100% sure it's completely DFSG compliant) it's
hard to tell. ([1] links to a list of acceptable licences)

It does "sound" like a free license and I suppose if it's freely
distributable (as binary and source) and modifiable then it should be
acceptable.
I'd ask in #launchpad (on irc.freenode.net) and/or ask on launchpad
answers[2], to see if one of the launchpad team (who are good with
licenses) can give you a definite answer.

Terence

[1] <https://help.launchpad.net/PPATermsofUse>
[2] <https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad>