Re: Conduit and SynCE launchpad projects

On November 15, 2007, John Carr wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2007 2:44 PM, Francis J. Lacoste
>
> <francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On November 15, 2007, John Carr wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I wanted to register launchpad projects for Conduit
> > > (www.conduit-project.org) and SynCE (www.synce.org) but these have
> > > already been taken by people not associated with either project.
> > >
> > > I would like to have team PPA's (for latest versions of both projects
> > > that aren't packaged in ubuntu), keep project information on launchpad
> > > up to date and (especially for conduit) blueprints.
> > >
> > > What should i do? Short of registering a project called conduit2 and a
> > > project called synce2...
> >
> > Launchpad policy is to encourage any user to register existing projects.
> > The reason for this is that there are other useful reasons to have a
> > project registered in Launchpad, even if the project isn't officially
> > using it (linking bugs, code imports and branch managements are the most
> > common ones). But when the real project owner comes around and want to
> > use Launchpad, we usually turn the project over to them.
> >
> > What's your Launchpad user id?
> >
> > --
> > Francis J. Lacoste
> > francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hi Francis
>
> Cool, that makes sense. My user id is jc2k. Thanks for your response!

Christian Reis (aka kiko) usually takes care of the red tape associated with
project reassignment. He's away for the moment, but he should be able to take
care of this once he comes back.

> On a side note, how long does it normally take to get beta approval
> (so I can set up Conduit/SynCE PPA's)? I get quite a lot of users
> needing help with their WM5 devices (4 at once last night, and 3 were
> gutsy users) and it would be so much easier for them if I could talk
> them through adding a repository and doing an apt-get install instead
> of compiling about 10 different packages!

The beta team application usually goes pretty fast, but again, Mattew Revell
who handles the beta applications is also off-duty this week. I've contacted
Joey Stanford who will proceed with your application.

Since PPAs are tied to a person or team, the fact that you don't have admin
access to the conduit and synce projects shouldn't be a problem. You should
be able to proceed to set up a PPA containing the packages for these
projects.

Cheers