Re: Support

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 15:41 +1100, Sarah Hobbs wrote:

> Bruce Cowan wrote:
> > There appears to have been a lot of support requests to this list, does
> > anyone know why there has been a sudden increase?
>
> I would assume it's the same reason that people request cds to be sent
> to them - they don't read, even what's blatantly in front of them.

There is also the language and though-process barriers. As far as I've
noticed, all requests for this kind of help have come from native
Mandarin and Cantonese speakers. My experience trying to learn Mandarin
and Japanese is that as a native speaker of any romanic/germanic/slavic
european language, you have to rewire your brain to be able to think in
any sino-altaic language and from the comments from friends who are
native speakers of CJKV llanguages, it holds true the other way around.
Accordingly, perception of reality is very different. Human languages
can be as mind altering as schroom salad. :-)

Hmm.... I bet they are hitting the list after reading the help pop-up at
launchpad.net. It is not clear enough! What about changing:

"""
You can also find help on the Launchpad users mailing list or online via
IRC, on Freenode, channel #launchpad.
"""

to something explicit:

"""
You can also find help on using Launchpad atthe Launchpad users mailing
list or online via IRC, on Freenode, channel #launchpad. For help with
Ubuntu please visit https://lists.ubuntu.com.
"""

Or similar.