Re: Bugs only closed by most recent changelog entries?

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:00:56PM +0000, Toby Smithe wrote:
> Can somebody confirm that my analysis is correct? I did check for
> documentation, but did not find any mention of this behaviour.

It's not, I'm afraid :)

Two things are wrong:

a) You did not pass the appropriate -v option to dpkg-genchanges (or
dpkg-buildpackage, debuild or whatever you used to generate your
.changes file). This means that only the most recent changelog entry
will be taken into account by dpkg-genchanges.

b) It's not Launchpad that looks at the changelog and sees which bugs
seem to be fixed. It's (again) dpkg-genchanges that looks for at the
changelog and adds a Launchpad-Bugs-Fixed field to you changes file.
*That* is what Launchpad looks at and closes bugs according to.

c) It seems that bugs can only be closed in this way if there's a bug
task against the package you're uploading. E.g. I fixed a bug that was
reported against kvm by upload a new vgabios. That bug did not get
closed because I didn't bother adding a bug task against vgabios.

I'm not sure how c) applies when the bug is reported against Ubuntu
rather than a particular package, but a) and b) still hold true.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team