Re: Requiring full name to join ~launchpad-beta-testers (was: Re: [Fwd: hggdh2 deactivated by matthew.revell])

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 12:31 +0000, Matthew Revell wrote:

> >  And could someone please explain why is this needed? I can't really understand
> >  why, as someone will just write a false name, and that's IMHO worse than having
> >  a nick.
>
> We ask people to use their real names as a matter of trust. If someone
> chooses to provide a false name, it's a shame that they'd break that
> trust but we generally expect that people will prefer to be honest.

Matthew, this is exactly my point: if you trust someone to provide the
real name (but (can|elect) not to  check it), then there is no real need
to ask for a real name. I prefer to be honest also -- and this forced me
to withdraw.

But there is only one hggdh, and my GPG key is stored by LP, and I
signed the CoC. Personally I consider signing the CoC much more
important to the Ubuntu community than providing a (real or otherwise)
name.

And I have not started yesterday helping Ubuntu. I have a history behind
me, although not as long as a lot of other people here. This should also
be enough for Canonical to trust me.

No hard feelings anyway.

..hggdh..