Re: Unsubscribe e-mails

Matthew Revell pisze:
On 21/02/2008, Bruce Cowan <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There seem to be a large number of people sending "I want to stop
 getting e-mails" messages. Don't these people realise what they're going
 to get when they subscribe to this list? It ought to be more clear for
 them.

Any thoughts on how it could be more clear would be greatly
appreciated! Perhaps we could have a message saying, "If you subscribe
to this list you will receive at least five emails per day."

There's a pretty big message on the sign-up page about ShipIt already
so we could add it there.

(this mail was sent earlier, but I thought it was sent to the ML. It didn't.)

First, I think that we should know from which sites people come to the mailing list site. Someone should check the referrers in logs or put some script collecting statistical data (Google Analytics or something else).

Second, maybe default mailman listinfo pages could be updated to something more user friendly. I used to have similar annoying unsubscribe requests at a university mailing list, even though all messages had a localised (polish) signature with information how to unsubscribe (we were using google groups).

Third, the default signature should be modified. The first line should say: "You have received this message because you are subscribed to launchpad-users mailing list" instead of plain mailing list name.

Fourth, I don't know if monthly reminder messages are turned on, if not - they probably should be. They contain info about unsubscribing.

BTW: these users can be really annoying. My friend, which was an admin of our university mailing list, once did a funny thing to such a user: he put him on the blacklist (to block his messages about unsubscribing) and told him to read carefully the instructions that we had provided him many times and to unsubscribe manually - if he hadn't, he would still receive the messages and his replies would be blocked :))) (I know, that's cruel, but sometimes people will never learn if not under pressure)

BTW2: is this situation repeating on any other lists? I haven't noticed yet, but maybe I'm not subscribed to the most populated lists.

--
## Przemysław Kulczycki <<>> Azrael Nightwalker ##
# jabber: azrael[na]jabster.pl | tlen: azrael29a #