Re: Mailing list time

On April 18, 2008, Sarah Hobbs wrote:
> Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > We've been holding off approving new lists until we can confirm that
> > all current known issues are resolved.  I'm hopeful that we can start
> > approving new lists in the next day or two.
> >
> > -Barry
>
> Maybe this is a silly question (or series of them), but...
>
> Weren't the launchpad lists released to the general public with the
> 1.2.3 release?

Yes, they were.

> If so, why aren't you sure that the issues are resolved?  If not, then
> why did it get released with known (presumably major, if you're not
> activating new ones) issues?
>
> What are the issues?

The issues are not that dramatic. There are basically four issues:

1. Problems syncing the state of mailing lists between Mailman and Launchpad
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/208431
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/215118

This one prevented the completion of the approval process of some mailing
lists. The issue was that if there was a communication error when Mailman
report back the mailing list status update, the update would not be
re-attempted. So some mailing lists were stuck in the 'Mailing list will soon
be created.' state.

2. A problem in zope which exhausted file descriptors.

This one basically prevented us from approving mailing lists for large teams.
When emailing new mailing list notifications, zope was not closing a file
until the end of the request, which prevents the whole request from
completing (because there was a file descriptors exhaustion before it was
completed).

3. The infamous new mailing list notification has wrong subscription url
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/199168

4. Sending a message to a LP mailing list fails
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/218628

This one affects people with email containing mixed-cases. They are basically
unable to post to a list.

> Were warnings given out, warning that the real release still had
> (presumably major) known issues, and should not be used for large-person
> teams, which have a larger potential for screw ups?
>
> If so, where were they?  I don't see this on blog.launchpad.net, or the
> release notes.

We only sent an announcement once we discovered that the mailing list
notifications URLs was still an issue. There was no need for other warnings,
because none of these issues have 'screw-ups' potential.

> This is making me hope that launchpad won't screw up with what it says
> is for production (ie, not beta), and that people won't come and lynch
> me for utilizing this new feature, for a big team.

There is no reason for anybody to lynch anybody here.

> And the final question:  If this feature is marked for production, but
> is not actually safe to use, can we get a list of any other features
> that fit into this category, so that we can make our own judgments on
> whether they should be used?

That feature is perfectly safe to use. The 'wait' that Barry was mentioning
was more because there was no point in approving mailing lists that would get
stuck, than for users not to apply for or use mailing lists.

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx