Re: BSD licence

Sebastian Heinlein pisze:
Am Sonntag, den 29.06.2008, 03:16 -0400 schrieb Mackenzie Morgan:
On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 09:11 +0200, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
How can I merge my translation upstream if they use an alternative
licence, e.g. GPL? They would have to include a quiet odd licence
statement, right?
Changing anything from BSD to GPL is easy.  It's the reverse that's
impossible.

But what about translations/suggestions made from other people? I would
have to ask every translator if he or she agrees to the re-licensing. So
I would have to write a lot of emails.

You don't have to. You can include BSD-licensed translations in upstream GPL translations with asking anyone. The whole work gets a GPL license because of GPL's reciprocity clause, and the BSD-licensed parts stay under BSD license. You just have to keep license notices in the BSD-licensed parts. See Software Freedom Law Center's publication: "Maintaining Permissive-Licensed Files in a GPL-Licensed Project: Guidelines for Developers"
http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html

--
## Przemysław Kulczycki <<>> Azrael Nightwalker ##
# jabber: azrael[na]jabster.pl | tlen: azrael29a #