Re: BSD licence

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Peteris Krisjanis <pecisk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/6/30 luca (ᴉ) innurindi <luca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> And it still exists the problem with the upstream translations: we
>> can't use them if they are in GPL because in this way we change
>> arbitrary their license.
>
> BSD license is meant just for translation entered within Launchpad
> system (as far as I understand) - system give you a string, you
> translate it, therefore license it BSD and Launchpad can use this
> exact string to compare it with others. In same time, it can be
> included in all kind of software, even in that for what you originaly
> made your translation for. It is a win-win.
>
> So, in nutshell, imported translations (from projects sources) keep
> their license. Translations made within Rosetta via form or upload by
> user gets BSD licensed (if user has agreed on that) and can be used as
> suggestions for other, not just GPL or LGPL software.

The problem with that is that because of the fact that translations
from upstream are generally not imported immediately in Ubuntu, and
the solution is often for the translation team to upload the upstream
translation in Rosetta. At least I believe that is how the Italian
team does things. That will no longer be possible, if I've understood
correctly.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org