Re: Rosetta after 31 July 2008

Barry Warsaw wrote:
On Jun 30, 2008, at 11:52 AM, Christopher Armstrong wrote:

Accepting BSD translations doesn't require you to change your existing
translations to a different license. In fact, you can GPL the
translations that you receive under the BSD license. That's one of the
major reasons to use BSD: it's lax enough that it shouldn't really
prevent _anyone_ from using it in whatever way they want, as long as
they include the notice.

Thanks for the follow up. I think the problem is that because my current translations are all GPL and FSF assigned, I can't upload them to LP and still be in compliance with LP's requirements.

So if I wanted to use LP for Mailman translations, I'd have to start from scratch.

Not necessarily from scratch. The existing GPL'ed translations are effectively "published" ones. Which means they stay licensed as they are. If you re-import them as published uploads, further changes in Launchpad can be "overlaid" as BSD-licensed additions on top of those.

You'd have to mix licenses, with the additions covered by both GPL and BSD, but is that a problem?

Jeroen