Re: Beta Testers: Changes to Edge

Hi everyone

Joey's written about what's happening to the Launchpad interface in
general, so I'll follow up with a few of the details.

Jonathan Jesse wrote on 05/07/08 22:30:
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 3:47 PM, markus korn <thekorn@xxxxxx
> <mailto:thekorn@xxxxxx>> wrote:
>> I'm looking forward to see all this changes to edge's UI.
>> But as a user of launchpad I would like to understand this changes.
>> Understanding them would help me to feel more comfortable with the
>> new UI and to provide you some kind of feedback. For example I would
>> like to know the reason for moving the portlet on bugpages from the
>> left to the right side,

Some pages in Launchpad contain little grey boxes ("portlets"), while
others do not. On launchpad.net at the moment, pages containing these
boxes have them in a column on the left. This means that the position of
the main heading and text is inconsistent, between those pages that have
the boxes and those pages that don't.

So what we're trying on edge.launchpad.net is putting the boxes on the
right. This means that the main heading and text for almost every page
starts in the same place.

>> why the colour on all the pages is loosing more and more contrast
>> (light grey on white background)

The only color change at the moment is that the grey boxes no longer
have a white-on-dark-grey heading.

>>                                  or if the some ten pixel wide border
>> around all pages is a bug or intended.

The main change to the margins is that the green location bar now has
whitespace around it, to make it eaiser to see. During user testing last
year I noticed that people rarely used the location bar. I think this
was because it was touching the edges of the page, which made it look
like something people were supposed to ignore.

> Wow you weren't kidding when you mentioned changes to Edge.
> Everything that was on the right, karma summary, email, GPG keys, etc
> is now on the left?

None of those are on the left now, that I can see. Anyway, the personal
profile pages are currently being redesigned, so the current pages are
temporary.

> Was there usability testing done that suggested this change?
> What other reasons behind this?

The changes made so far fix many bugs that have been reported about
Launchpad over the past three years. Other changes coming soon will fix
further bugs.

Cheers
- --
Matthew Paul Thomas