Re: BSD licence

Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Bruno Patri wrote:
> > http://translationproject.org/disclaim.txt
> > "I disclaim all copyright interest in my works, which consist of
> > translation of portions of free software programs [...].  The
> > programs to which this applies include all programs for which
> > the Foundation is the copyright holder, and all other freely
> > redistributable software programs."
> >
> > As far as I can understand it, the last sentence gives me the
> > guarantee that my translations can not be used in proprietary
> > software.

You are correct.  I have checked with the FSF and the answer that I
gave earlier ("They can be freely copied, by anyone, for any
purpose") is wrong.  You keep your copyright, and only disclaim the
interest in your copyright on translations for free programs.

However, if some proprietary program would reuse your translations
(in significant amounts), you yourself would have to take action
against the maker, as you are the owner of the copyright on the
translations.  The FSF will not act as the guardian of your work.

(But if your translations have been used, it probably means the
msgids have been used too, and for those the FSF does own the
copyright.  So you could point the FSF at the proprietary program,
and if they decide to sue the maker, you could then piggyback on
their case.)

Benno