Re: "Abuse" of Contact User feature

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 05:06:22PM +0000, Curtis Hovey wrote:
> >     - User A wants to give a suggestion to the Launchpad engineers of a
> >       new technology to use. He doesn't file a bug or a question because
> >       it's not actually a bug or question; instead he writes to the team
> >       and asks
> >
> >       You can argue that this can go through the owner anyway.
>
> Yes. The owner verses the whole team argument is really about how much
> respect Launchpad looses because of a message is perceived to be spam.
> If users accept that they will occasionally get a bogus message because
> they are a member of a team, then there is no problem. Will Launchpad
> users ask us to change the rules if a spammer sends three message to the
> three largest teams in Launchpad?

Quite possibly. Even if

    https://launchpad.net/bugs/301654
    https://launchpad.net/bugs/302441

were fixed (must-fix for 2.1.12? :-) that risk is still a big one.

> I'm not convinced that sending a message to many people when a
> discussion (with all members) is not possible is a good solution. That
> is like dropping as many bombs as possible in hopes to hit a target. I
> think it is easier for the person sending the message to know that
> someone is responsible for replying.

Yeah, the fact that you can't have a true discussion is a really good
point. So I'm kind of making up my mind that we want to support these
use cases only:

> >     - Contacting all members within a team I'm a member of is valid.
> >     - Contacting a team through its team owner (or admins)

And I am slightly inclined to say that it's admins. Be it admins or
owner, the slightly harder question that follows is: what happens if
some of the admins are teams?

(Does our CAU feature currently go through nested teams?)

> Does this need to behave differently if the team has private membership?
> I don't think so. Teams with private membership must enforce their own
> rules to ensure that members do not divulge themselves. If non-members
> can only contact the team owner, there is less chance for the team's
> membership to be leaked.

It's a good question. The easiest answer is if the team has private
membership it doesn't get a CAU link. However, I think it may be okay
(and actually better since there's no other means of contact) for the
user to contact the admins as long as it's not disclosed to him who
those admins are. If they choose to reply -- we should probably make
this clear in the footer -- they are disclosing themselves.
--
Christian Robottom Reis | [+55 16] 3376 0125 | http://launchpad.net/~kiko