Re: [Launchpad-users] new way to look at the bugs

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 14:50 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 15:30 -0300, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> ..
>
> > The other set of features that needs working on here is around
> > searching: a proper search customization UI, saveable (and shareable)
> > searches, and visible feedback of active search terms.
>
> I think bug hoards sounds very nice, and better searching too.
>
> I think that custom sorting is still extremely useful: hoarding sounds
> like a kindof super-saved-search, but searching != sorting. (Imagine if
> you will, that you could only see one level of 'importance' in a search
> at a time - it would be pretty annoying to work with).
>
> I realise nothing in your mail excludes custom sorting, but the
> conversation focus seems to have drifted to a parallel feature - and
> while better searches would be nice; I maintain that better sorting
> would be killer!
>
> Searching and sorting intersect a lot - consider a google search: google
> finds everything, but then also sorts the result, such that (often) the
> first 2 or 3 items contains what one is looking for. Assessing relevance
> for a document is hard. To phrase what I'm asking for in search terms, I
> want to increase the precision of the results in the first page of a
> search.
>
> -Rob

I agree that bug hoards sound useful but I think they would be most
useful if I can sort the bug hoard however I need.  I did not realize we
were separating search and sort.  I agree with Rob about the importance
of sorting search results.  In some cases the sort is both necessary and
sufficient while the search is not even necessary.

For instance, let's say the team is trying to clear out old bugs after a
release and the team lead creates a hoard of the old bugs.  If I am
trying to reduce a measure of the length of the backlog, the best place
to start would be the oldest bug.  By far the easiest way to maximize my
efforts is not only to start with the oldest bug, but to continue
working on bugs in ascending date order (from oldest to youngest).

Whereas, if I have recently committed several changes to a project on
Launchpad, I will likely be interested in looking at the most recently
reported bugs and working from youngest to oldest bug.

-Richard