Re: [Launchpad-users] Is translation of Launchpad itself planned?

At my point of view, the whole Launchpad should be translated and this could be done with Rosetta itself but from my point of view Rosetta itself is the last tool that needs to be translated, mainly because one needs to know english to be able to translate software.

But we can't forget that Launchpad has uses other than translations. As a contact answer for Ubuntu on my language, I know that people find very difficult to use Q&A tools, which can be a nice tool if evolved well.

Another thing I can tell is that some people find difficulty to join Launchpad just in order to be able to subscribe to our loco-team's mailing list. For this people, having Launchpad in english is a great barrier.

And if you guys don't mind, I am going to quote the Ubuntu manifest here: http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/philosophy

"Every computer user should be able to use their software in the language of their choice."

Isn't Ubuntu philosophy applicable to Launchpad either?

Greetings,

Kemel Zaidan aka Legendario

2009/12/6 Dmitry Agafonov <dmitry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Why do you mean by planned ? Like Canonical to pay for implementing that
> feature in Launchpad?
> There are some bug requests and they were accepted. Everyone is invited
> to contribute.

We (Russian LoCo members) asked at #launchpad once (ok, twice) if we
can help translate LP.
There was clear answer: We can't help - LP is not translatable.
If so, one need to rewrite every single line of code containing string
and create very large patch just to make it translatable :)
Who can guarantee the patch will be accepted?

Sorry, but I cannot confirm my words, "Internal Server Error" instead
of LP source code is displayed right now at
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/

--
Dmitry Agafonov